Premature addition of unknown*) part codes to the MRP/ERP system when processing new BOMs does not add any value in most cases. It only adds work, delays, costs and risk of errors to the quoting process. This is, for instance, the case when during quoting the customer changes BOM items or, ultimately, when P.O.’s are not realized.
*) unknown part codes are part codes not available in MRP/ERP.
The power of PACE
PACE is one of the two internal databases of QuoteArchitect. The other database is CIS, which is a copy of your MRP/ERP information in BOMArchitect. PACE was developed to disconnect the technical part code information from the MRP/ERP information.
By definition, MRP/ERP information is logistical, commercial and financial. These systems are not developed for technical data management. PACE information is technical. Both systems complement each other to create the best possible part code information source in the company.
During BOM processing, PACE not only automatically handles the unknown part codes in the BOM, but manages all part codes involved in the quoting process, including alternates and substitutions.
PACE is self-learning, which saves a great deal of time in BOM processing by error-free collecting part code information from various sources such as Octopart. After a part code is automatically stored in PACE, it is not only available for all future BOM processing and quote calculations, but for anyone in the company via the free PACE Viewer.
The PACE database is fully customer configurable.
The PACE-ERP team
During BOM processing it is generally not a good idea to enter unknown part codes from a BOM immediately into the MRP/ERP system. But for the quoting process and afterwards, the unknown part codes need to be stored and managed. PACE was developed for this purpose.
The most effective moment to define new part codes in the MRP/ERP system is after the receipt of the P.O. The BOM content is more or less fixed, there is less time pressure and therefore fewer errors will be made. A simple export and upload of the unknown part codes from BOMArchitect to MRP/ERP avoids retyping the part codes and manufacturer names. This eliminates a major source of error.
When a part code is not in MRP/ERP but it is in PACE, the PACE information will automatically be used in the BOM on new BOM import. Once that part code is added to the MRP/ERP system, the datasets will automatically synchronise and the new ERP data will also become visible in PACE and in the BOMs.
Features and Benefits of PACE
- PACE is fully customer configurable. It can be used in a minimum configuration, sufficient to drive QuoteArchitect. But it can be expanded into a professional, central component information system, where all material related information can be housed and managed by one or more professional Librarians
- PACE combines the technical part data with the MRP/ERP part data in one application. In addition to all technical information, it is capable of showing any (definable) information from the MRP/ERP system when a part code is also stored in that system
- PACE is updated automatically in real time and is synchronised with every MRP/ERP information update. The MRP/ERP data is not editable in PACE, only readable
- A free PACE viewer is available for everyone in the company. Stored and managed in a central repository, everyone in the company can have with PACE (controlled) access to all available part code data from two sources in one application
- PACE users can create their own data “views”. Part codes can contain dozens of different variables, which you usually don't need to see all at once. User defined PACE data views show in one screen the exact data elements from the selected part codes anyone needs for his or her job
- PACE manages all part codes involved in the quote; not only the “unknown” part codes in the BOM during BOM processing. All part codes
- PACE is highly automated, self learning and a great time saver by automatically and error free collecting part code information from different sources like Octopart
- Part codes stored in PACE are available for all future BOM processing and quote calculations
- PACE is the ideal tool for part specialists (e.g. Librarians), making the job as part data manager as efficient and effective as possible